Although most contractors complete the work they were hired to do in a timely fashion and without incident, there are unscrupulous individuals who will take money for a project and then never complete it. Each month, municipalities throughout Florida issue citations to unlicensed contractors, many of whom are guilty of not completing projects despite receiving payment. Fortunately, there are the steps you should take to protect yourself and hopefully recoup your money.

Florida Consumer Complaints

The first step is to file a complaint through the state. The official state website has links to all state agencies, and you should file a complaint through the appropriate agency. For example, a general contractor complaint would be filed under the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, while a pest control company complaint would be filed under the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Licensed vs. Unlicensed

Complaints can be filed against a contractor whether they are licensed in the state of Florida or not. In order to successfully file a complaint against a licensed contractor, they must have violated one or more specific requirements under the licensure law. If the contractor is unlicensed, the standards of proof are lower as the person has not taken the steps to meet the state’s qualifications for licensure. The state of Florida has arrested individuals who offer contracting jobs without a license, and there have been cases where licensed contractors have been charged with fraud for not completing projects they were paid to complete.

Hire an Attorney

If a contractor has taken money and not completed the job they were hired to do, you can also hire an attorney who will review your case. If necessary, an attorney can initiate civil lawsuits against the contractor that could allow you to recover monies paid to the contractor.

Contact the Khonsari Law Group for Legal Counsel

If you or a loved one paid a contractor to complete a project and the contractor has not performed their duties as promised, you may qualify for a legal claim against them. Contact the Khonsari Law Group to set up a consultation regarding your case. You may be entitled to compensation for damages.